blown computer

nosstorm1
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

blown computer

Post  nosstorm1 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:17 pm

Well hello every one,

My last post was saying that my system wasn't booting anymore.

I got a call this evening from the comp shop saying my motherboard was busted: short-circuit due to some dust.

So i had no choice to get some updates:
    asus p5q mobo
    intel duo 3.0 gig
    4 gig ocz reaper ram
    nvidia 9800 gt

I should receive those thursday

nosstorm
    Kinslayer
    Major
    Major

Re: blown computer

Post  Kinslayer on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:49 pm

so in short, you're pimping the shit out of your computer...
    nice, just... nice
    papajoe
    Gunnery Sergeant
    Gunnery Sergeant

Post  papajoe on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Dude my computer is slowly going too. It freezes up everytime i played. But now its freezing up for basic stuff too. So i guess i have to envy your rig from afar . Which i already do. LOL!
    Kinslayer
    Major
    Major

Post  Kinslayer on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 pm

papajoe, do a disk cleanup and a disk defragmenter. That should fix the slowness or if not, its still a good thing to do.

Gunnery Sergeant

Post  papajoe on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:34 am

speed is not an issue, my computer runs great. what is accually happening is it freezes to a point where nothing responds. So i have to reboot to get it going again. I've run scan disc, disc clean up, dissc defragment, reg cure (removes errors), cleaned heatsink & changed grease. It has to be a component in the computer like the proccessor or hard drive, etc. I'll figure it out eventually when i have some money.
    Kinslayer
    Major
    Major

Post  Kinslayer on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:11 pm

I see, I had the same problem a couple weeks ago, and that's what i did...

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by checking your hard disk for errors. Follow these steps to run the hard disk error-checking tool:

Click the Start button , and then click Computer.

Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Select Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Click Start.

When prompted to schedule the disk check to occur after a restart, click Schedule disk check.

Restart your computer.

Note: Depending upon the size of your hard disk, the disk check might take several minutes.

After your computer restarts and the error check has run, review the summary report for any bad sectors or files that were repaired.

If the report cites any bad sectors that cannot be repaired, this usually means there is a problem with the hard disk itself. If this is the case, you should back up your data immediately and install a new hard disk. Read the Windows Help article Methods for backing up your files for more information about backing up your hard disk.

If there were no reported problems and you continue to see the same error, then your computer might have a problem with its file system. See the next step for some suggestions

NOW, this took me 2 hours to complete, so be patient. Turns out a firefox file, yes only one, caused all that shit.

Private First Class

Post  nosstorm1 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Woohooo got all my new gear!!!!

now, many hours setting hadware and even more installing drivers

be back real soon!!!

aka nostradamus, aka storm, aka nosstorm
    papajoe
    Gunnery Sergeant
    Gunnery Sergeant

Post  papajoe on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:35 am

hey kin yes i didn't list it but i did that too. u want to here something funny ever since i posted this compolaint the computer has been working fine lol.

Hurry up storm get in the game, its been a while
    Kinslayer
    Major
    Major

Post  Kinslayer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:43 pm

Well hopefully papa, your computer won't do the same as Storm's did... well its that both of you are now in full gaming shape. Now let's go kick some ass as usual

Gunnery Sergeant

Post  papajoe on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:46 am

NO i spoke too soon. Computer is still messed up ijust removed the video card from my jobs computer (its mine) so when i get home i can check to see if that is the problem.
    No one here at work has been playing any games on their computers anyway. They brought in an XBox and hooked it up to one of the monitors.LOL. So any way if this video card works then i will be in good shape. Its a Saphire x1650 512mb card from ATI. Trust me it gets pretty frustrating when ure in the middle of a game or a project and the computer freezes. If this works i'll be pleased.
    Kinslayer
    Major
    Major

Post  Kinslayer on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am

Well good luck with that papa, on my side it looks like I'm going to have a hard drive failure pretty soon, something is not right with it lately

Gunnery Sergeant

Post  papajoe on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Well the good news is that with the new video card the computer has not froze yet, and World at war is responding better. The bad news is cod4 is not responding good where it use to run flawlessly. I need a new better, stronger, faster computer. Or buy a new cpu, its probably about time.
    Kinslayer
    Major
    Major

Post  Kinslayer on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:18 pm

papajoe wrote:Well the good news is that with the new video card the computer has not froze yet, and World at war is responding better. The bad news is cod4 is not responding good where it use to run flawlessly. I need a new better, stronger, faster computer. Or buy a new cpu, its probably about time.

Call it an investment papa, exactly like Storm.

EvilFocker
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

Hello Everyone -

Post  EvilFocker on Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 pm

I am in IT as my living I would recommend the following... first I have to say this that computer place sounds like they ripped you off, dust short circuit dont sound good to me.

First do the following you ALWAYS want 3 things on PC at all times.
    1.) Firewall ( hardware or software )
    2.) Antivirus
    3.) Malware/Spyware protection

to keep computer clean I use the following....

1.) for hardrives to keep nice and tightly use a program called ccleaner cleans registry and removes unwanted files.

2.) Hardrives get crappy face it this is the best one and free anything I am telling you is all free. Program called defraggler this will be better then scandisk /defrag on your machine now. Basically what this will do it takes the actual file from any drive and organizes it back in place for pure speed/performance value. I don't leave home without it when I go fix peoples pc's on the side.

3.)HijackThis program is nice but do some research this will show you what programs you have running and allows you to delete programs in registry that dont belong there good for finding sneaky virus and malware programs.

4.) SpyBot Search and Destroy kills spyware and is still one of the best out there.

5.)Malwarebytes - Decent for malware to take off your system.

Rule of thumb your data is only as good as your last backup so always backup your hard drives any software will do but do it! I use ghost and only backup C:Winxp and F:VistaBlack

Hopefully this information will help you all, I could go into more detail but this is just rundown time to game !

One more thing please excuse my typos etc Smile I did this fast Smile jocolor
    Kinslayer
    Major
    Major

Post  Kinslayer on Mon May 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Well well thanks for all that info Evil... it's going to prevent a lot of shit from happening in the future... and trips to the PC Medic lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:01 pm